Preview

image preview

Description

Location of Marker: Front of Coby Hall (Court St.). Text: Built by John Simpson in 1843, on the site of his earlier home, this residence, was occupied at various times by both armies during the Civil War. Purchased in 1867 by George W. Foster, builder of Courtview, for his daughter, Virginia, and her husband, James V. Irvine. Their daughter, Virginia, left the home to her great-niece, Harriet Rogers King, in 1939. Mrs. King and her husband, Madding, restored Irvine Place in 1948. Acquired in 1990 by David Brubaker and donated to the University of North Alabama in memory of his wife, Coby Stockard Brubaker. Listed: National Register of Historical Places

Location Depicted

University of North Alabama; Florence (Ala.); Alabama; Southern States

Object Type

Image/jpeg

Source

color digital photograph

Image Creator

Phillip Oliver

Publisher Original

2009-06-01

Date Original

June 2009

Date Scanned

2010-01-14

Date Modified

2010-01-14

Digital Publisher

University of North Alabama, Collier Library Archives

Digital Format

image/jpeg

Digital Creator

Oliver, Phillip

Identifier

markersimpsonhouseMark

Rights

These materials are provided for educational and scholarly purposes and reproduction of items beyond that allowed for fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. For reproduction permission please contact staff of Collier Library Archives.

Share

 
COinS