Location of Marker: In front of Rogers Hall on University of North Alabama campus. Text: George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival mansion. An act of the legislature was required to close Court Street. In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster's daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald and her family lived here until 1900 when it became the home of Governor Emmet O'Neal. In 1922 it was acquired by Thomas M. Rogers, Sr., and in 1948 by the University of North Alabama.
University of North Alabama; Florence (Ala.); Alabama; Southern States
color digital photograph
University of North Alabama, Collier Library Archives
These materials are provided for educational and scholarly purposes and reproduction of items beyond that allowed for fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. For reproduction permission please contact staff of Collier Library Archives.