Location of Marker: Front of Wesleyan Hall, University of North Alabama. Text: Oldest state-supported teacher college south of Ohio River. 1830 - opened as LaGrange College (Methodist) at nearby Leighton. 1855 moved here and renamed FLORENCE WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY. Flourished until closed by war in 1865. 1872 deeded to State by Church. Became FLORENCE STATE NORMAL SCHOOL 1926 - present named adopted - 1975.
University of North Alabama; Florence (Ala.); Alabama; Southern States
color digital photograph
University of North Alabama, Collier Library Archives
These materials are provided for educational and scholarly purposes and reproduction of items beyond that allowed for fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. For reproduction permission please contact staff of Collier Library Archives.