Location: Behind Collier Library, next to Wesleyan Hall, University of North Alabama. Text: The Wesleyan Bell was manufactured by the C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro, Ohio. It is made of alloy steel, has a diameter of 38 inches, and is 24 inches high (not including its yoke). The weight of the bell is 660 pounds. When 350-pound mounting are added, the total weight is 1,010 pounds. The bell was mounted atop Wesleyan Hall after the school was donated to the state by the Methodist Church in 1873, at which time the school became State Normal College. The bell was used to call students to class, for ceremonial purposes, and other uses. Around 1910, the bell was removed from Wesleyan Hall and placed in storage. In 1951, the bell was discovered and unsuccessful efforts were made by alumni to display it on campus. During the summer of 2002, the 130-year-old Wesleyan Bell was rediscovered after having been in storage for over 90 years. Construction of the Smith Bell Tower began in March of 2003, and was completed during the summer of 2004. The Smith Bell Tower, present home of the Wesleyan Bell, was dedicated during a ceremony on September 17, 2004.
University of North Alabama; Florence (Ala.); Alabama; Southern States
color digital photograph
University of North Alabama, Collier Library Archives
These materials are provided for educational and scholarly purposes and reproduction of items beyond that allowed for fair use requires written permission of the copyright owners. For reproduction permission please contact staff of Collier Library Archives.